WRAPPIN' UP
What is your most significant "Take Home" truth from this book?
Our homework assignment from the first discussion was to ask our husbands what virtue they would like us to develop over the course of this study. Which virtue have you focused on, and how has God helped you to change?
Way back in Chapter 1, Carolyn writes, "This book is about the transforming effect of the gospel--because that is what Titus 2 is all about." How have you grown in your appreciation of the gospel? In what way(s) are you seeking to bring honor to the gospel?
2 comments:
I have a hard time pinning down THE MOST significant, because they were all hugely significant to me! The idea that I am to cultivate tender feelings toward my husband and child(ren) was new...as opposed to waiting for them to do something wonderful to spawn that feeling in me. That I'm not as self-controlled as I thought I was. That I'm far more selfish than I thought I was. That I shouldn't seek an earthly reward for the work I'm doing. That I need to be kind in all my deeds (rather than doing one kind deed and calling it good for the day!). That submission happens in the heart and is communicated not only through obedience to someone else's will but also through demonstrating respect in all things.
Matt had chosen Purity for me...but I think the changes he wanted to see fell more under Kindness. In all the areas, I feel God has opened my eyes to my sin and made me more sensitive to the Spirit's conviction. I still choose sin :( sometimes, but now I'm aware of it and remorseful for it.
The gospel is a constant encouragement, that Christ has paid for ALL my sin. I fail so miserably, and there's no weigh I could pay for all my sin. And because of Christ, I have the power to reject sin and choose God's ways instead...which leads to MUCH JOY for myself and my family and MUCH GLORY for God. I'm seeking to bring honor to the gospel by living a life that reflects Christ--His saving work, His example which we are to follow, and the joy that comes with obedience. That's really broad...but I'm really striving toward ALL these 7 virtues, because I don't have any of them nailed. ;)
I would probably have to say tenderly loving my children was the most significant. It is the one I currently am struggling with also. I sometimes think why does my child whine, but this goes back to the gospel. I have to depend on HIM not myself to be a good mother in godly ways. I've been "preaching the gospel" to myself, as Jerry Bridges says, each day and this helps me focus on the gospel, my appreciation for it, and how I can bring honor to it.
I was to focus on submission and self-control. I feel I'm improved on self-control, but much improvement is still needed. I'm currently working with submission. I'm struggling to live it out. I know minus the last 2 days Matthew has noticed a big change for the good. Thanks Karisa for facility the discussion and to the others for their comments and sharing! To God be the glory...
Post a Comment