Sunday, November 30, 2008

Chapter Eight

GOALS OF DISCUSSION

The aim of our time is to
1) study what Scripture has to say about the virtue of submission in marriage;
2) uncover the "trouble" with submission and the hope we have for change; and
3) appreciate the beauty and benefits of submission.

SINCE LAST TIME

In what ways did you seek to advance your family's happiness since our previous meeting? Did your efforts have their intended effect? Explain.

FUN STUFF

We learn from 1 Peter 3:5 that submission comes with a 100% guarantee to make us beautiful. That's more than any man-made product can claim! What are some of the most extreme, disastrous, or just plain silly beauty treatments you have ever heard of or maybe even tried?

3 comments:

Maria said...

I can't think of any ways that I sought to advance my family's happiness. Perhaps I should revisit the chapter? I don't really have any fun stuff to share.

Karisa said...

I couldn't think of any specific ways...but I know I've been more conscious of kindness and goodness. I've been more uplifting and patient in my tone with Mattaya, and I've withheld unkind or impatient remarks toward Matt (not perfectly, but I think there's been some improvement).

I don't really have fun stuff either. I roll my eyes at most beauty treatments (beyond the standard application of make-up in which I engage most days). Maybe it's because Matt can never tell whether I'm wearing make-up or not...maybe because I'm more comfortable in my identify as a person and therefore don't feel the need to hide my various physical flaws...maybe because I'm resigned to the idea that there's not much I can do about those flaws! :)

Anonymous said...

I sought to advance my family's happiness by planning more - good meals on the table every night, chores all done each day, limiting time-wasters, and etc. It has worked very well! I am using a basic weekly chart that Karisa e-mailed to me, and I really love it! Obviously, this is a work in progress, cuz it's so against my nature, but I'm seeing so much improvement in things being less stressful around here, and more being accomplished.

I don't really do beauty treatments. I rarely wear makeup. I have recently started putting moisturizer on my face every day! I guess I think something pretty extreme would be the women who have to have their nails done professionally all the time, and have professional eyebrow waxes and facials, etc. To me, that's extremely foreign and would make me uncomfortable, but to some, it's very normal and everyday. (I'm sure there are many women in the world who think my "need" to shower every day is pretty extreme!)