GOALS OF DISCUSSION
Upon the conclusion of our discussion, we should possess
(1) a biblical understanding of sex and purity;
(2) a new resolve to resist the sin of lust; and
(3) fresh incentive to romance our husbands.
SINCE LAST TIME
If we had a videotape of your life this past week, what would it reveal about your progress in the area of self-control? May we continue to encourage you that Christ's forgiveness is available for all your failures, and His "better strength" is more than able to help you change.
FUN STUFF
Recount the love story of you and your husband in two minutes or less. Actually there's no time limit since we're not ACTUALLY meeting. ;)
5 comments:
The videotape this week wouldn't be pretty, but I just read the self-control chapter yesterday so maybe there's hope for this coming week???
Our love story in short (sort of) is that James dated a friend of mine for two weeks, and I thought he was the nicest guy. They decided to just be friends, and a couple years later we met back up with him. I had a boyfriend. He was kind of seeing someone, and we got drunk and had a one-night stand. Does this sound like a love story? Well, we were definitely not Christians at the time. We both broke up with our partners and dated for a year...and it was horrible. Our relationship was based on all the wrong things.
Fast forward a year - James decided he wanted to go to church. I thought it was weird, but we went. We both ended up becoming Christians and slowly completely changed our whole relationship. We stopped having sex for three years before we got married, and it radically changed us....learning how to communicate and put God in the forefront of our relationship.
We have now been together for 13 years! We are more in love now than ever. I am constantly learning more and more things about him...good and bad...but I honestly know that God put us together...for life!
The video tape would show some improvement a couple of nights over how many sweets I ate, but all together much failure. I am encouraged with Christ's forgiveness!
I enjoyed learning more about you Amy, Thanks for sharing! I am curious to see how Matthew and I will be in 13 years. It is encouraging to hear how you changed your lifestyle. Often we don't hear the "Praise the Lord" stories. Matthew and I dated off and on for about 4 years (in high school). We had a year and half break..much needed. I was far to serious and at too young of an age. How I hope Lila and Grace may be wiser. We were hanging on summer with mutual friends and tada..here we are. Married for 5 years now.
After reading all your comments, I just had to go read the chapter and see what all the revolutionary hub-bub was all about. ;) Now, to answer the questions...
Um, no videotapes please. I think if anything I went backwards! :( I did a lot of rationalizing and not enough fleeing. This chapter made some excellent points that will also help me in the realm of self-control. Yes, do hold me accountable on this one--CONSTANTLY. ;)
Matt and I met at church through his best friend who was engaged to a college acquaintance of mine. I finagled (sp?) an introduction and found reasons to call him (like inviting him to stuff the singles group was doing). After about a month, we were dating. Seven months after that we were engaged. Nine months after that we were married. We've been married just a little over three years. Happily (most of the time!).
I read Song of Solomon..wow, deep. I do have a comment on Carolyn's use of "latch" According to a message by Mark Driscoll, he referred to the latch as the door to their room. I believe it was in message 5 in his series. The scripture there is talking about Solomon coming in late at night and wanting to be in the room with his bride. She refuses him, saying she was undressed and her feet were clean. She did not want to let him in. He tries at the door (latch) and she is anxious in her heart that he will enter. I'm not sure I explained that as well as Mark did. Listen to his sermon and see what you think. I don't disagree with Carolyn's discussion on the use of the clitoris though.
Yeah--it was good to read, but I felt a lot of it went over my head. Matt and I have listened to two of the sermons so far and have really enjoyed them. Very enlightening. Very beneficial. :)
Post a Comment