TAKE HOME
Consider your plans (or lack thereof) for the coming week. Now ask the question: "What would most help my husband?" Based on the answer, do your plans need to change? If so, how? (If you're not sure, why not ask your husband?)
What is one new skill you would like to acquire as a homemaker? How can you make this happen?
BONUS ASSIGNMENT
If you currently work at a job in addition to caring for your family and home, use the questions on page 105, and together with your husband evaluate whether or not this job truly serves your family.
(1) What are my reasons for considering this opportunity? Are they selfish or God-honoring?
(2) Will pursuing this venture glorify God and honor the gospel?
(3) Is this an undertaking that will help my husband?
(4) Will it enhance and enrich the lives of my family?
(5) Does this endeavor hinder my role as caretaker of my home?
5 comments:
I've been doing a lot of asking my husband lately...much to his surprise. ;) He often complains about laundry back-up. And while I've been keeping up better over the last year or so as far as washing, drying, and folding, we still often have stacks of clean laundry in our bedroom that are waiting to be put away. This annoys him. He also dislikes general clutter...and as I mentioned before, we have a lot of it! I need to work on the things that matter to him most, first.
One new skill I would like to acquire would be a new method of managing our finances. Our old method is cumbersome and odd, and hasn't been working for me very well anymore. (I am the sole money-manager at our house.) I am considering learning to use a computer program such as Quicken, and/or going to an all-cash or all-credit card (paid off every month!) system. I've been talking to a few people I know who use different methods and how they work for them. To make this happen, I'll need to do more asking and more research to decide what I think the best option for us would be...then, with Adam's blessing, learn to use the new method. Doesn't sound too difficult, but it's very daunting to me right now.
Bonus Assignment
Background info: I work at a local church doing childcare for their International School (for immigrant adults seeking citizenship) for 3 hours, once a week - Levi is with me - and also often for their Sunday night church services.
1. My reason for considering my work outside the home was to make a little extra money for our family to use for "fun stuff" that's maybe not in the regular budget, and to help people - I particularly enjoy it when I can use the Spanish I know to communicate with non-English speaking toddlers. I think these reasons are God-honoring, but I guess there is an element of selfishness present, because it's also something I enjoy doing.
2. I believe that yes, pursuing this venture glorifies God and honors the gospel.
3. I don't think it will particularly help my husband, although he thinks the little extra money is nice! He supports the fact that I do it...
4. Again, not sure it will enhance or enrich the lives of my family, but I don't think it does the opposite either...
5. Typically, this endeavor does not hinder my role as caretaker of my home, but there are occasions (like really busy weeks) where I wish I didn't have to go because there are so many things I need to catch up on around the house. But typically, that's not the case. (I feel the same about other worthwhile activities such as my ladies' Bible study and MOPS.)
This coming week doesn't appear to present any problems, but this past week was kind of ishy. I did appreciate the chapter, and I am inspired to discuss plans with Matt more before committing to things. And I suppose I should know his philosophy in general and get that out in the open, because I'm pretty sure it differs from my personal tendencies.
The skill I most covet is quick cleaning! I think if cleaning didn't consume SO much of my time, I would entertain more. Not that I hold back from hospitality because my house isn't perfect...but I always think that is where I should commit my time...like I shouldn't have people over and twiddle the time away when I should be cleaning. I'm not really sure how to make that happen. Perhaps I could order some sort of magic wand!
I'm not currently working outside the home.
Karisa - you probably already know this and may well practice it... but something I've done with cleaning is that I try to do about 20-30 minutes a day. It's not very often my house gets the deep clean anymore - but it's every day the floors get swept, the toilet and sink get wiped down, and I typically will swiff as well. I miss having the whole house sparkling clean, but with three little ones, it's just an impossibility right now. But I can keep the house picked up and if I clean lightly every day, it makes it so that it never gets really, really dirty. So, for what it's worth... that's my approach.
Sure-I can give that a whirl. I've been dusting one week, doing floors the next. The bathroom gets it good once a week. Because of the 5,000 little tasks there are to do every day, the big task for the week usually gets tackled by both of us one evening. And one evening for chores isn't bad...but it's not good (in my opinion), either. Thanks for the idea. :)
Yes, my plans are to visit my aunt and neighbor (both elderly and in hospital care at the moment). This does not help my husband. I struggle with wanting to be there for them and provide for their needs. I will ask Matthew to see how much or little I can spend my time visiting them/ or when is a good time if he deems it necessary.
I would like to acquire the skill of mending. I have a few friends that could teach me.
No other job at this time.
Post a Comment