Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GOING DEEP

Where do you find yourself in this chapter: Are you a full-time homemaker, or are you employed outside of the home? Regardless of your situation, how did this chapter challenge your attitude toward your home?

Was the God-given responsibility to "'rule' in our homes" news to you? How does it affect how you think about your role? What changes do you need to implement in order to fulfill this biblical commission?

Do you think your family would describe you as happy? Why or why not? What is one way you can grow in creating a joyful atmosphere in your home?

Carolyn writes that our homes "should be pleasant havens for our husbands and children, sanctuaries where we offer care and hospitality to other Christians, and gateways from which we extend the gospel to family, friends, and neighbors." In what ways does your home serve these godly purposes? From reading this chapter, how have you been inspired to build a home for God?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would consider myself a "full-time homemaker" although I am employed outside the home for about 3-5 hours a week. This chapter definitely challenged my attitude toward my home! Being a homemaker is not just a "default" setting because one has no other employment; it's not a passive job. It is a calling and a profession! Sometimes I tend to lose sight of that fact, and in the process I go on autopilot and become a poor "worker at home".

"Ruling" in my home was a new concept for me. It suggests a responsibility for ALL things domestic. Even when there are things that others in my home usually do, or times when I need their help, ultimately it is all my responsibility - although sometimes my responsibility to delegate (to children) or ask for help (from Adam). Changes I need to implement would be organizational improvement and work ethic. Obviously much relying on the Lord will be needed here - these are struggles I have had forever, and so far haven't been able to solve completely.

No, I don't think my family would describe me as happy, at least not most of the time. That really struck me. I think if I structured my time better, I would be much less stressed and frazzled, and better able to enjoy my family and create a more joyful atmosphere for them to live in as well.

I don't feel that my home is as much a place of hospitality as it ought to be. I grew up in a home where we almost never had people over, and entertaining is really out of my comfort zone. Even having one person, couple, or family over to our house produces a very high level of stress in me. I think the obvious antidote would be to do it more often! I want to have a home that glorifies God and furthers the gospel, not just one that meets my family's basic needs.

Karisa said...

I'm a full-time homemaker. I was challenged by the importance of making the home #1. I'm often distracted by other commitments, but now I'm convicted that's not okay. I need to fulfill my responsibilities at home before I run off to do other things, EVEN IF those other things are really GOOD things.

I guess I knew the household stuff was my responsibility, but I often rely on Matt to bail me out since I can't seem to keep up with it all. So it was impressed upon me that I need to devote myself to some "professional development" to improve my ability to independently handle house tasks so Matt is free to tackle the tasks God has given him.

Yes, for the most part, I think my family would describe me as happy. I love my job and my husband and my child and my home. I do sometimes lose my smile and positive attitude when I become overwrought about undone chores. I think a remedy might involve a little more ambition on my part--making sure NO time is wasted, attacking my chores with VIGOR, not considering waiting for Matt's help an option. The other side of the remedy is not letting undone chores steal my joy and cause me to sin against God and my family.

My home is a haven for my family, but I don't open it to others as I could/should be.

Maria said...

I am a full-time homemaker. There was a lot revealed to me regarding my attitude. Although my attitude has improved immensely through this study and another one on my own.

I definitely realized how I could rule my home better and take responsibility for all things, not most things. I need to be busy at home to rule more effectively.

I do think I would generally be described as happy. These last few days haven't been the best though. And I can loose my joy rather quickly upon my circumstances. This is the focus of my other study.

I tend to be very giving of my home to family. At times to friends, when invited, and almost never to neighbors. Much improvement needed and very exciting. I associate food with fellowship and I think I need a reason to invite. Therefore lack of reason and financial constrains to feed them are my excuses. I do hope I can change this!

Anonymous said...

I am a part-time court reporter/stay-at-home mom. I do most of my work transcribing at home, but this is very distracting from what needs to be done in our home! This chapter definitely challenges everything I was ever raised to do! My mom ALWAYS had a maid. She worked full-time. My grandparents took care of me. So taking pride in my home and putting it #1 is definitely a HUGE challenge to me!

This idea of me "ruling" in my home is a new concept for me too. I have always thought it should be 50/50, but I see through this chapter that all things domestic are my responsibility. This would be a bit easier if I didn't work at all, but I need to delegate and prioritize my time and energy to getting the house done first!

I think my family would describe me as happy, but I definitely hide what's underneath. When I'm upset, I don't want anyone to know so I "pretend" it's fine. I want to actually act happy and be happy at the same time!! I do LOVE my life, though.

My home is most definitely NOT a haven. It is cluttered and pretty much disorganized all the time. I feel like I can never get ahead in any one area in the house. So I'm completely overhauling my schedule to put the house and my family first and all other obligations beneath it!