Wednesday, November 19, 2008

GRACE REMINDER

Do you ever try--in your own strength--to be kind and good? Describe that experience. How can you turn to Christ for help in those moments? Let's ask for His help right now.


BEFORE YOU GO

I need some opinions. Are you guys up for another book? If so, any suggestions? I'm thinking we'd probably take a little break before starting another book anyway, because it will take some time to order them and such. During that break (and if you don't wish to do another book), are there any topics you'd like to cover or questions you'd like answered? I'm happy to put things together and post them if you all are wanting to read them. If there are no topics for discussion, we can also just doodle around with some fun stuff like swapping funny stories, recipes, cleaning tips, etc. Share your thoughts, please. :)

7 comments:

Karisa said...

At the risk of sounding over-eager, here are some suggestions for your perusal. (I just wanted to post them before I lose the slip of paper I wrote them on.) If you all are interested in doing another book, please consider these. There are reviews and descriptions online.

THE FRUIT OF HER HANDS, by Nancy Wilson
BECOMING GOD'S TRUE WOMAN, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
BIBLICAL WOMANHOOD IN THE HOME, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
THE EXCELLENT WIFE, by Martha Peace
BECOMING A TITUS 2 WOMAN, by Martha Peace
LET ME BE A WOMAN, by Elisabeth Elliot
DISCIPLINE, THE GLAD SURRENDER, by Elisabeth Elliot
REFORMING MARRIAGE, by Douglas Wilson
THE TRUE WOMAN, by Susan Hunt
SPIRITUAL MOTHERING: THE TITUS 2 MODEL FOR WOMEN MENTORING WOMEN, by Susan Hunt
A WOMAN AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART, by Elizabeth George

Maria said...

Yes I try in my own strength all the time. I'm working on committing each day to the Lord. When I do do this, I notice my attitude is extremely different. God is good and very gracious to me!

Opinion: I'm not up for fun stuff..I have enough of that through email. A break would be good..through the holidays for me. I think I would learn from any of the book suggestions. I would lean more towards a book, such as this, that is based on a direct scripture.

Karisa said...

To answer the question...trying in my own strength can be EXHAUSTING and unfruitful. That's how I know when I'm depending on God (versus myself) for the strength/grace/ability to be kind and good. I can tell a definite supernatural difference when it's Him. Like, "Whoa, that was easy and enjoyable! That must have been GOD!" ;)

Karisa said...

I checked with Pastor Andy regarding our book possibilities. He most recommends the books written by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Martha Peace, and Susan Hunt. If anyone feels drawn to one book over the others, NOW is the time to shout it from the roof-tops, because we'll need to have a decision soon so we can order books during these few weeks we'll be taking off. (We'll cover this last chapter on submission then break until the new year.)

Karisa said...

My bad...there is still ONE MORE CHAPTER after the submission chapter.

Anonymous said...

My vote is for "Biblical Womanhood in the Home". I read the reviews, and they seemed pretty good. But of course I will read ANY of them! I own "The True Woman" also and haven't read that one either. But whatever you all want is just grand with me! I have to work on catching up with this current book!

Karisa said...

After talking with Amy, I did a search for other Carolyn Mahaney books. She has one that she wrote with her daughters called "Shopping for Time" that appears very helpful (good reviews). For me, it's down to that or one of the DeMoss books...