WHAT'CHA THINK?
Carolyn adapts Jerry Bridges's helpful definitions of kindness and goodness, which are a "sincere desire" and the "activity calculated to advance" our family's happiness, respectively. In what ways do his definitions help you think about these virtues?
Scripture's solution to bitterness is forgiveness. God has forgiven us, and we must forgive others. How does pondering the cross "transform our perspective"?
3 comments:
It really set in how my attitude of my day and what motives are behind my actions are sinful.
The issue of bitterness is one I struggled with recently. I knew I had un-forgiveness in my heart, but I didn't recognize its relationship to my bitterness. For five years now this relationship has been hindered due to my sin, how sad!
His definitions brought AMAZING clarity to those two fruits. I feel that now I can more honestly evaluate myself and practice those virtues more productively.
Realizing that Christ had to pay for MY SIN, brings a more clear perspective to me. Knowing that my sin is as ugly (and perhaps MORESO) as anyone else's helps prevent judgment. Focusing on the forgiveness God has POURED out upon me (repeatedly) reminds me that I have no reason to withhold forgiveness from anyone else.
I hadn't really thought much about the definitions of kindness and goodness, so what struck me was the planning involved in goodness. I think kindness comes fairly easily to me, and goodness does too in an "off the cuff" kind of way. I'm just not much of a planner, and I'm realizing that I should be!
I totally agree with Karisa's answer for the second part, and I think it was well-said...so I'm not even going to attempt to rephrase!
Post a Comment