WHAT'CHA THINK?
If it is true that we have all "breathed toxic feminist air for several decades," in what ways may we have been influenced by feminist ideology? How does Scripture (specifically Titus 2, 1 Timothy 5:14, and Proverbs 31) convice us to think differently about the home?
Titus 2
You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine. Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted , so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are His very own, eager to do what is good.
These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.
1 Timothy 5:14
So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.
Proverbs 31
The sayings of King Lemuel--an oracle his mother taught him:
"O my son, O son of my womb, O son of my vows, do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings.
"It is not for kings, O Lemuel--not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earning she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work figorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps ths spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is repected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
What is our job description as home managers? How does helping our husband help us as well?
6 comments:
I'm having a hard time thinking of specific ways in which I am infected by feminism...but I think I held to the idea that it was important to become SOMETHING. This world doesn't seem to esteem being an expert wife/mom...you need to be something else in addition to that in order to be worthy of respect. And I see myself caving to that when I make sure to announce that I do have a master's in speech-path but have decided to stay home. Like my training and knowledge makes me count. And I think I do that because I feel looked down upon or disrespected when people see me as JUST a wife/mom. Scripture rebukes me and reaffirms that being a wife/mom is the HIGHEST female calling because it is the one issued by God Himself.
Our job description is EVERYTHING. Make sure the home is running/functioning/well-taken-care-of in all aspects. Helping our husbands helps us because our help enables them to be the men they are called to be which in turn enables us to be the women we are called to be. Does that make sense? Kind of a cycle type thing.
I do tend to let my thoughts wander in thinking I should do something else other than just a homemaker. This is hard when having a career outside of the home has really penetrated Christian homes of many of my friends.
Dido Karisa's response on our job description and helping our husbands.
Karisa, I wasn't really sure how to answer that question about how I am infected by feminism...but I've been pondering your answer all day, and I am realizing some important things.
I am the flipside - I DON'T have any other specific career or training, and this has always made me feel bitterly inferior. Sometimes even angry. And sometimes even angry at my husband, because had I not married when I did, I most certainly would have gone "away" to college and actually finished a Bachelor's instead of "settling" for our local community college and an AA degree in...nothing. Obviously, this thinking is flawed and seriously messed up. And the truth is, I did have opportunity to finish when we first moved to Minot, but chose to start having babies instead.
I have felt defensive and looked down upon for so long by my entire family and everyone who knew me in my childhood (probably most of this is in my mind), because I feel that I didn't live up to my own and everyone else's expectations... and because I don't hold a stupid piece of paper that says I'm good at something! How messed up is that? What I am called to be "good at" is that which I'm doing right now...taking care of my home and family. I blow off those responsibilities as unimportant way too often. I am going to attach myself to my "profession" in a new way and be proud of it, and do the best that I can. Homemaking is something worthy of doing well, and something to take pride in!
It is so hard to keep our minds wrapped around this idea with all the feminism that surrounds us constantly.
Well, I was raised by a single mom that taught me that I needed to make sure I could take care of myself and NEVER depend on a man! So wrapping my brain around this chapter has been ENLIGHTENING for me to say the least!
I think it's actually much EASIER to work full-time. Taking care of the house and the children and the hubby is, well, more than a full-time job for sure! It's much more rewarding in my mind, but it's definitely not something you get kudos from in the REAL world and especially family.
I so love that God designed us this way. It makes a lot sense, actually. Now we just have to figure out how to get me home COMPLETELY full-time cuz I still work part-time......
YAY, Melonie! Even with a degree, I find myself continually torn. Should I continue investing time and money in maintaining it? I have to take a certain number of courses every year, and I have to PAY to keep my certification. We like having the "insurance" that if ever Matt can't re-up, I can work while he goes to trade school. I also like the idea that I'll still be "allowed" to help people who need it--formally, informally, private practice, whatever. All that seems so practical...but I think there's some emotional pride attached to it as well. In my mind, I think that remaining certified means I'm still a "viable" (maybe valuable?) person. It's really hard for me to sort through, so I just leave the decision up to Matt every time. :)
Thanks for the encouragement, Karisa. I always thought as soon as my kids were in school, I would "of course" go back to school and begin a REAL job. Now I am not so sure. It never occurred to me that my calling might be to be a life-long homemaker. I will have to think about that. I have this itch to get a degree in something, just to prove I'm worthy or smart or something. I don't even have any idea what it is that I want to do. I just think I would feel better about myself if I finished school...and really, that's a pretty lame reason to sink a bunch of time and money into something like a degree. It IS good to plan ahead, and for the reasons you listed (like somehow needing to work because husband needs to get training...husband dies...etc.). But that isn't truly my motivation at all. I will definitely be praying about it more and speaking with Adam about it more. Already this week I can see that my mind is clearer about my PURPOSE as a homemaker. Anyway, not sure if any of this makes sense, but I thought I'd share. :)
Post a Comment