The foundational verse for this book is Ephesians 5:15-16 which says,
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."
From your reading, why is this verse so important for us as women?
10 comments:
I don't know if this has anything to do with being women in particular, but I think the verse is important to remember because it's easy to view time as something that there's a never-ending supply of. "So what if I waste an hour? I can get it done later this afternoon. So what if I waste today...or this week? There's always more time in the future." This way of thinking is a lie from Satan, because our time on this earth is quickly passing. Our lives are but a vapor - and God has called us to do good works for Him during the short time we're here! You can't recover time lost. You CAN usually accomplish a task later, but you do so at the expense of something else more purposeful and God-glorifying.
I'm a little hung up on the "days are evil" part...what does that mean exactly? Here's what Mr. Henry has to say: "Those were times of persecution in which the apostle wrote this: the Christians were in jeopardy every hour. When the days are evil we do not know how soon they may be worse. People are very apt to complain of bad times; it would be well if that would stir them up to redeem time." Farther up he commented that time is a gift from God of which we need to intentionally become good stewards...once we've spent it, we can't get it back...and we wouldn't want to spend a gift from God poorly, right? I give myself considerable license. I indulge myself often, expecially if I know I can still do what's necessary LATER. That's not only selfish but according to this verse also FOOLISH. I think the reason they want this be especially weighty for the women is because the choices we make really impact the lives of our families. If I don't get my chores done, Matt ends up having to help me. If I'm rushed and trying to catch up, Mattaya is denied a happy mom and a playmate. If I set a poor example for my children, I very much responsible for their continuing my pattern of sin. The choices we make are indeed far-reaching.
I also don't know if this has anything to do with just being a women, I think it can go for both genders.
I basicly just think this verse is telling us to always be wise and make everything you do count because we have a limited amount of time.
I would agree with you all. I just get caught up doing unnecessary things, and then I look at the clock in shock, having gotten nothing "important" done.
I think it is important because a woman can fill her time up with so many things. This verse reminded me of another verse, I Corinthians 10:23,"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." It reminds me I can fill my time up with many things that aren't necessarily 'bad,' but they aren't necessarily the best either. If the days are evil, I need to be filling my time with edifying things. Things that bring me closer to God so that I don't conform to the patterns of the world. If I spend my time on things that aren't the best, then I'm being foolish.
I think we've all had times that we've felt overwhelmed with the tasks at hand and wondered how it was all going to get done. I can say, with great shame, that very few of those times in my life have I sat down and asked God what is wise for me to do and what is unwise... I just try to do it all in my own strength, and thus the stress! How different things would be were I to sit and contemplate my time and then ask God to show me how to use my time wisely.
I don't think I had ever thought of myself as a 'steward' of God's time; that really made me think about why I do alot of the things I do, even if they are things that are good, sometimes my heart attitude is doing it more for my glory than His. (I agree with Beth on the 1 Cor. verse!)
Several days before starting this book, my husband and I were talking about this passage, and with the events of the world and our country right now ("because the days are evil"), my thoughts were about how short of time we have on this earth and how so much of what I do during the day won't matter in the end, but how I live while doing those things will matter because it is shaping my kids (and others around me) and (hopefully) drawing them to God. As they grow they will value what I value, and I'm not making the best use of my time, or "the most of every opportunity" (NKJV), by sticking to my to do list rather than listening for what God wants me to do in the time He has given me.
For me as a wife and mother, making the best use of the time, means making sure that I am teaching my kids by example (in my attitude, my relationships, my willingness to be self-less) to value what matters most, the things of God, because I desire them to have a relationship with God and Godly character in these evil days, more than I desire to accomplish my to do list.
(Sorry for the random jumping around and run-ons...)
This verse seems more real to me in the days of television and computers (which is worse for me). I am very foolish with my time. I tend to be a "martha", may I learn from the "mary's"!
I too have a tendency of filling my time with pointless things, but at the time that I'm doing them, they seemed very important. For me, I find it hard to prioritize what's important and what can wait. I also feel torn about this passage, because I work (I'm up by 530 am), then I come home to make dinner for my husband, and then I need to clean up the apartment so I feel that I don't have any time for myself. So if I do make time for myself, I feel guilty afterward for not getting things accomplished. So where's the balance of what is foolish and what is wise? And I have to admit that my quiet time is rather non existent right now even though I do get up at 530...
I tend to guard "my time" very closely. That involves sleep and computer. More recently it has come to include my quiet time as well, but that is often the FIRST thing to go when I'm pressed for time. Again, I think it comes down to deciding what GOD wants us to do...what's most glorifying to HIM, not just what I find to be most fulfilling.
Post a Comment