Thursday, January 29, 2009

What significant changes have occurred in your life in the last few years?

What unique challenges and opportunities are you aware of in this season?

How were you comforted by the reminder that God has ordered your current season and the changes you've experienced?

8 comments:

Karisa said...

In the last 3.5 years, I've gotten married, moved out of my parents' house, graduated from college, worked as a "professional", moved to Base, had a baby, and become a stay-at-home mom (and endured a variety of medical changes, most of which qualify as uninteresting or TMI!). As a stay-at-home-mom, I think I have a plethora of opportunities to serve others and plant seeds (in other moms and kids) that I wouldn't have if I was working. However, I am my own biggest challenge. I'm fairly well on top of things most of the time, but I was really convicted about what she wrote regarding ordering my time based on what GOD wants for my time...not just serving others or fulfilling myself. So I'm definitely hoping to grow in discernment so I can properly choose what GOD wants me to be doing with my time and then to grow in discipline to choose that over what makes me feel happiest (that whole self-fulfillment thing...although I do realize the greatest joy lies in obeying God, I still often choose SELF...evil, it's in me). Unlike Cindy, I'm in a very happy, comfortable place. I'm enjoying this season that God has chosen. :) Her story was a good reminder, however, that even if I enter a season I seem to dislike very much that I can and should rejoice because it's a gift from God like every other season He's given me.

Melonie said...

The important things that have happened to me in the last few years are these:
* Made a very close friend who I believe will be my dearest friend for life.
* Learned how to (for the most part) be loving and respectful and submissive to my husband - I can't remember the last time we've had a real "argument" - and a few years ago I'd have thought that was impossible.
* Got pregnant and gave birth to our 2nd living son; went through several months of debilitating post-partum depression so bad I don't really want to remember anything about those months.
* Said goodbye to my (before-mentioned) sister-friend when they moved last June...but we continue to see our relationship grow as God constantly uses us to teach each other more about Him. (And we talk a LOT on the phone!)
* Sent my oldest off to kindergarten last fall! (Is that really possible?)

I'm in the same boat as Karisa - I see a LOT of opportunities to minister to other moms. Particularly now, since I'm suddenly an "older" mom (again, how did this happen?!), I'm finding I'm filling a bit of a "mentor" role to a couple of younger moms with younger kids. I also have the time now to be involved in an online ministry to people seeking Jesus (or even just seeking SOMETHING) called Global Media Outreach. It is really amazing, and I'm being stretched as I correspond with people from literally all over the world who are hungry to know more about the Lord. It's amazing!

As far as challenges in this season of life - for me, it's keeping on top of things when things keep changing, whether it's scheduling (although I'm doing WAY better with that lately) or just keeping ahead of my kids as a parent so I'm being proactive in my interactions with them (teaching/discipline/you-name-it)...and not constantly unprepared and REactive.

I can totally see God's hand in every season of my life, looking back. And I know he has ordained this current one and I'm so blessed to be right where I am. I learn it again and again, but each time it's such an amazing realization - God uses the bad stuff, the hard times, the discomfort and the stretching to make us into more useful, more joyful, more efficient and productive people for His glory.

Savannah Rose said...

1)In the past 2 years I've, graduated high school, gone to college, started partying, quit partying, dropped out of college, gotten married and moved 2 times.

2)Challenges and opportunities of this season I'd have to say learning how to be a wife,sharing the word, and meeting new people...I don't think that these are unique.

3)I comforted because I know my life in in God's hands and I don't have to worry because he would not give me more than I can handle.

Anonymous said...

The most significant change in my life this past couple years by far was having a baby.

My biggest challenge in this season is prioritizing my time. Between the housework and the kid and the dogs and my part-time work and the hubby and my time with God....I know plenty of women manage it well, but that is NOT me!

I am sooooooo thankful for what God has given me this past year. James and I tried to have this miracle baby for eight years. God has blessed us beyond our expectations.....so I am comforted that God will sustain me during the difficult times.

Unknown said...

The last five years of my life have been packed full of change. (I took a required Stress Management class at school, and we had to take one of those tests that gives the changes in your life a score and then report the score. After doing this, I received an email from my Proff saying she was seriously concerned by the amount of change in my life). I never would have made it through without knowing God had complete control of my life. In the past 5 years, I have moved 4 times, changed schools 4 times, had my brother and dad die, the doctor found a tumor in my mom's uterus the size of a 6 mos fetus, my gramma developed dementia, got into a car accident, and the list goes on. On the good side, I got engaged! : ) One verse I find particularly helpful in this time is: "Do not be afraid, for am I in God's place?
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." (Gen 50:18-20)
My life has started to slow down a little in the last year, and now I'm having to relearn what it means to serve God in the mundane. It feels easier knowing where your priorities are when you're living from one tragedy to the next, so keeping them straight when things are calm is difficult.

Kirsten said...

I've had a lot of changes in the last few years... 3 kids, moving to the tundra, leaving family behind... I could go on but won't. I think the most unique challenges, like Karisa, is using my time wisely. I am very goal oriented and will DO a lot in any given day, but is it what God would have me do? I struggle to know how to balance my time between my kids and my house work. I struggle to know how to find time to serve Vince in ways that are meaningful to him, but also find the time I need to recharge my own battery so I'm not a grouch. I am encouraged knowing that God has ordered my times and seasons so I don't need to worry about doing too much - but just constantly seeking His direction for me... again, not trying to do it all on my own, but asking Him what HE would have me do.

Anonymous said...

Like all of you, I've had a number of significant changes in my life in the last few years, marriage, two kids, one miscarriage, moving away from family, then moving away from my 'adoped' family in KS; I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five years ago, my husband has been deployed to Iraq twice (during each pregnancy, our second is a R&R baby), and now we're getting ready to move again (yea, we're moving back to KS though!).
In this season of life, the challenge I see is balancing my time at home so that I can be efficient and productive in the home, yet not miss out on the daily joy of raising our boys and being a wife. Opportunities I see are, like Karisa, serving others and hopefully sharing Christ by example.
All of the significant changes that I have experienced are a reminder to me of God's sovereignty and faithfulness, because I can see how He has used each one to strengthen my faith, my relationship with Him, and who I am as a person. At the time, many of the changes were hard and not so fun, but I can see how God has used them for the good, and He has given me a trust in Him for the future seasons of life that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Maria said...

Similar changes as others are working in my worldly career, working as a mom of 2 kids, and moving. Challenges and opportunities on my heart during this season is spiritual mentorship. (If you have a chance to read "Spiritual Mothering" by Susan Hunt I would recommend it!) The seasons of life were great to hear because I can struggle with this season of babies. Although both my husband and I are continually reminded of God's timing because our 2nd was more of a surprise. We couldn't imagine our home without her now and as stressful as it can be at times, He has truly given me sufficient grace!