Tuesday, September 27, 2011

#6--What method do you tend to default to when feeling hopeless in your parenting: reward or punishment? How does the gospel change the way we discipline?

3 comments:

npitch said...

I default to punishment. The gospel teaches us that Christ took the punishment in our place.

Karisa said...

Punishment is my default as well. I wasn't bribed much as a kid, so it's not one of my defaults. (And my kids often don't respond well to bribery...they want the reward BEFORE the behavior.) I can definitely sense conviction of the Holy Spirit when I'm "defaulting". My attitude about discipline isn't right, my method isn't right, and the result is definitely not glorifying to God. I am thankful for the awesome example we have in our Savior. I'm not always certain how to emulate His example.

Karisa said...

Oh I didn't really answer the second part. I agree with Nicole. :) The gospel also give us and our children hope. We hope not in our discipline, but in a Savior who is mighty to save in a real sense. And we can NEVER be good enough no matter how many times we've been disciplined, but we can reap the rewards of His perfect life because we are covered by HIS righteousness.