On page 86, C.S. Lewis helps us rethink our interruptions. What difference does it make for you to embrace these as God’s “sovereign deliveries”? How should this truth change the way we relate to our husbands, co-workers, or children?
I will be at peace rather than frustrated, irritated, and with a loss of patience with others, if I embrace these interruptions as God's Sovereign deliveries. The "others" I was referring to would be my husband and kids.
I think Maria already said it--this truth should make us much more patient and gracious toward those who interrupt us. And interruptions in general shouldn't spark anger in us either, whether they involve another person or not. We'll just take things in stride acknowledging all things as being from God's hand for our good and His glory.
God has been working on this in me this past year, relating with patience and love to my husband and children when things aren't going as I planned. Something that was quite convicting to me in this process, and continues to serve as a reminder to me is a quote from a Love and Respect workbook: "My response is my responsibility. You don't cause me to be the way I am, you REVEAL the way I am." Many, many times my response to my husband and children has revealed how un-Christ-like I am, but by the mercy of God, my response is slowly becoming more Christ-like.
Excellent quote. (But unconvenient for those like me who'd like their wrong behavior to be in some way justified!) Carolyn touches on that thought in "Feminine Appeal" as well...right? With the sponge analogy? And I think "When Sinners Say I Do" touches on that A LOT!
4 comments:
I will be at peace rather than frustrated, irritated, and with a loss of patience with others, if I embrace these interruptions as God's Sovereign deliveries. The "others" I was referring to would be my husband and kids.
I think Maria already said it--this truth should make us much more patient and gracious toward those who interrupt us. And interruptions in general shouldn't spark anger in us either, whether they involve another person or not. We'll just take things in stride acknowledging all things as being from God's hand for our good and His glory.
God has been working on this in me this past year, relating with patience and love to my husband and children when things aren't going as I planned. Something that was quite convicting to me in this process, and continues to serve as a reminder to me is a quote from a Love and Respect workbook: "My response is my responsibility. You don't cause me to be the way I am, you REVEAL the way I am." Many, many times my response to my husband and children has revealed how un-Christ-like I am, but by the mercy of God, my response is slowly becoming more Christ-like.
Excellent quote. (But unconvenient for those like me who'd like their wrong behavior to be in some way justified!) Carolyn touches on that thought in "Feminine Appeal" as well...right? With the sponge analogy? And I think "When Sinners Say I Do" touches on that A LOT!
Post a Comment