Monday, June 27, 2011

#2 - Does your love of the gospel change the way you parent? If not, how could it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maggie (my eldest) recently asked me why I always talk about Jesus when she's mean to the little kids. This is new in my parenting and something I've been trying to incorporate more. Her comment made me realize that I should look for more ways to share the gospel with my children when they haven't failed. I don't want to only talk about Jesus when they're in trouble!

npitch said...

My love for the gospel is starting to change the way I parent. When my kids are struggling, I try to encourage them to ask God for help, and when they do well I encourage them to praise God for helping them. I struggle with having a "how dare you" kind of attitude towards them when they sin. But the Holy Spirit has recently started to help me remember my sinfulness and need for the gospel when dealing with them. I have also asked my son to remind me that "I don't have to get upset, because Jesus loves me" when I start to get frustrated with him. And I am seeking to remind him of gospel truths when he is struggling with sin. Also, as I meditate on God's grace towards me, it helps me be more gracious with the kids.

Karisa said...

Great point, Libby! I think I neglect to talk about the Bible or the gospel when I'm NOT disciplining. I think growing up in a "Christian home" and attending a "Christian school" in some ways has made me casual or calloused to the gospel. Through Andy's continual focus over the last several years along with Comforts from the Cross, I feel I'm coming into a true love of the gospel and I hope that love will overflow into my parenting. As I get frustrated over the sin of my children, I'm beginning to realize more now that I'm not so different. I've got the same sins with different behaviors. And as I see how my Father disciplines me lovingly and patiently, I am reminded what my discipline should be more like. Within the last couple years I came to realize that I had humanized God and assumed that when I sin, He's displeased and not feeling to friendly toward me...so I needed to make it up to Him and be good before I could approach Him again. Utterly ridiculous in light of the truth of Who God is, but realizing this long-time, erroneous assumption has made me realize how important it is for me to communicate to my children that God's love (and hopefully my love as well) is not tied to their performance.