Each question is a separate post, because each question is a separate discussion. When you're ready to answer, click "comment" and share your thoughts.
#1 - In what ways do you use the Bible as a rule book instead of as the "good news"?
4 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I often have an "obey me or else" attitude with my children; even if I don't say it that way, I expect it. I have rarely (till starting this book) directed them to the Savior when they fail. However, I don't think that my children assume they're in right standing with God, just because they're in right standing with me.
Yes. When dealing with my children, I sometimes say things like, "You must obey, because God says so" and "Don't lie, because God hates lies." But I confess that many times God and the bible aren't even on my mind at all. I just get upset, because they are inconveniencing ME. However, God has been gracious in teaching me more about gospel-centered living, and little-by-little he is helping me put it into practice.
I ditto Nicole. I'm finding it really hard to love and teach the law AND incorporate the gospel. I feel hopeful that this book is going to help me figure out a truer balance between the two. My default is definitely to tell them what "Bible rule" they've broken. We do often talk about how WE can't choose what is right on our own and that only JESUS can change our hearts and help us make the right decisions and that when we are "having trouble" we can ask Jesus for help by praying to Him...
I guess the biggest hurdle for me is that I, myself, look at the Bible as MY rule book....not as much "the good news". So of course I have trained Tobias that way. I am really going to have to take a step back and reevaluate what I, personally, SHOULD be focusing on and in turn teach Tobias. Excited about this book.....
4 comments:
I often have an "obey me or else" attitude with my children; even if I don't say it that way, I expect it. I have rarely (till starting this book) directed them to the Savior when they fail. However, I don't think that my children assume they're in right standing with God, just because they're in right standing with me.
Yes. When dealing with my children, I sometimes say things like, "You must obey, because God says so" and "Don't lie, because God hates lies." But I confess that many times God and the bible aren't even on my mind at all. I just get upset, because they are inconveniencing ME. However, God has been gracious in teaching me more about gospel-centered living, and little-by-little he is helping me put it into practice.
I ditto Nicole. I'm finding it really hard to love and teach the law AND incorporate the gospel. I feel hopeful that this book is going to help me figure out a truer balance between the two. My default is definitely to tell them what "Bible rule" they've broken. We do often talk about how WE can't choose what is right on our own and that only JESUS can change our hearts and help us make the right decisions and that when we are "having trouble" we can ask Jesus for help by praying to Him...
I guess the biggest hurdle for me is that I, myself, look at the Bible as MY rule book....not as much "the good news". So of course I have trained Tobias that way. I am really going to have to take a step back and reevaluate what I, personally, SHOULD be focusing on and in turn teach Tobias. Excited about this book.....
Post a Comment