It does, and it doesn't. While I many times WISH that God spelled things out more specifically, I can see that His way is (of course) perfect. If He had spelled it out, I would be much more likely to rely on myself and my own effort. Not having it all spelled out means I have to rely on Him and His wisdom and strength CONSTANTLY. I think the brevity of instruction to parents also reflects that God is valuing the instruction He has given all believers. If we're walking with Him and learning His ways, our training our children will likely be 'of the Lord'. Living the life He has called us to and relying fully on His grace (for us and for our children) might just be all we need to be godly parents!
Yes, it is surprising. That probably explains why there are so many parenting methods out there; people don't think there is enough guidance in the Bible for parenting. But actually, our parenting should be like our relationship with others in our covenant community (the church), which involves evangelizing, discipling, nurturing, exhorting, encouraging, rebuking, comforting, counseling, warning, disciplining, etc.
2 comments:
It does, and it doesn't. While I many times WISH that God spelled things out more specifically, I can see that His way is (of course) perfect. If He had spelled it out, I would be much more likely to rely on myself and my own effort. Not having it all spelled out means I have to rely on Him and His wisdom and strength CONSTANTLY. I think the brevity of instruction to parents also reflects that God is valuing the instruction He has given all believers. If we're walking with Him and learning His ways, our training our children will likely be 'of the Lord'. Living the life He has called us to and relying fully on His grace (for us and for our children) might just be all we need to be godly parents!
Yes, it is surprising. That probably explains why there are so many parenting methods out there; people don't think there is enough guidance in the Bible for parenting. But actually, our parenting should be like our relationship with others in our covenant community (the church), which involves evangelizing, discipling, nurturing, exhorting, encouraging, rebuking, comforting, counseling, warning, disciplining, etc.
Post a Comment