Is teaching your children about God's generous love and mercy a new way of parenting for you? How? Have you been more concerned with teaching them about obedience?
Um yeah--totally new way of parenting, and yes I've been very focused on obedience. As a Pharisee myself, I am very behavior oriented (for myself and for my children). This has meant a need for a re-orientation away from rules toward the gospel. And LOVING the gospel even though it means people get a reward they didn't earn...which can only happen if I understand that nothing I have done or can do can ever make me any more deserving of that reward. The more I see myself as I am, the more humble I become, the more I love the gospel, the more eager I am to extend grace toward others. God is very good and abundantly patient to be teaching me these things!
2 comments:
Um yeah--totally new way of parenting, and yes I've been very focused on obedience. As a Pharisee myself, I am very behavior oriented (for myself and for my children). This has meant a need for a re-orientation away from rules toward the gospel. And LOVING the gospel even though it means people get a reward they didn't earn...which can only happen if I understand that nothing I have done or can do can ever make me any more deserving of that reward. The more I see myself as I am, the more humble I become, the more I love the gospel, the more eager I am to extend grace toward others. God is very good and abundantly patient to be teaching me these things!
Yes, I have been more concerned with teaching my children obedience than about God's love and mercy.
Post a Comment