Monday, July 18, 2011

Chapter 3: This Is the Work of God

In what ways have you believed the formula "good parenting in, good children out"? How is this formula contrary to the gospel?

2 comments:

Karisa said...

In what ways? I don't know...in every way? Maybe not consciously, but I've definitely operated under the assumption that if I was doing everything right, things would turn out right. That assumption has been challenged as (1)Mattaya has gotten older, (2)Makenna has not responded to my methods as Mattaya did, (3)I've observed the challenges that faithful parents have faced as well as the undeserved blessing unfaithful parents have received, and (4)I've realized that even if I KNEW all the right things to do I could never carry them out PERFECTLY...and so how could any of us have "good kids" if our parenting was "flawed".

The formula flies in the face of the gospel, because it is centered on ME and MY efforts. The gospel is all about God's grace, which He lavished on us who don't deserve it. Just as we cannot merit His good grace, we likewise cannot merit/produce good children.

npitch said...

I grew up with man-centered theology. The impression was given that God NEEDS us to spread the gospel, to raise godly children, etc.--the success/failure of everything depends on the choices WE make. And even now that I've learned about God's sovereignty, I still see that man-centered theology coming out in things like my parenting. Proverbs 22:6 was THE verse on parenting that was taught. So I often feel like the whole weight of parenting is on me and my husband alone. Matthew 11:28-30 are verses that I really need.