Tuesday, October 28, 2008

GOING DEEP

Of the categories addressed in this chapter--eating, sleeping, thoughts, feelings, and meeting with God--in which area (limit: ONE) are you most in need of self-control? Why?

In what ways do you encounter the three adversaries--the world, the devil, and sinful desires--as you seek to exercise self-control in the area you just identified? How can the virtue of self-control be a "protective wall"?

Give an example where you (like Carolyn) "listened to yourself" instead of "talked to yourself." What biblical thoughts should you have been speaking to your soul?

What is one negative feeling that you often experience? If "sinful feelings reveal a sinful heart," what sin do you think this feeling reveals?

3 comments:

Maria said...

I have to chose 3...eating, thoughts, meeting with God. I'm working on my thoughts though through a different study. I choose the other two based on my perception that I lack self-control in those areas the most.

I face adversaries of time management, to-do lists, and gluttony. Self-control can be my protective wall to evaluate the important things in my life and the satisfied feeling within me, not my stomach.

Eating one more cookie. I listened to how good the previous cookie was, rather than telling myself I'm not hungry. I should be asking myself if another bite glorifies the Lord in my eating.

I often have the negative feeling that someday I'll eat better and exercise to keep my body healthy. Laziness, selfishness and gluttony.

Karisa said...

You are a rule-breaker, Maria!!! The limit was ONE! You need to exercise some self-control and limit yourself to ONE! ;)

I'll admit that it's really hard to choose just one. I'm torn. I think I'll say meeting with God...simply because I think that will significantly impact my thoughts which will significantly impact my feelings. Eating is in no way discarded from the list of possibilities, but I think meeting with God is most urgent for me and may even impact my eating as my thoughts are affected.

I think I let the world influence me at least as much as God influences me, sometimes even more. I think I allow worldly views/opinions/advice direct my thoughts/behaviors without thinking through what God might have me do. The devil knows my weak spots, and he goes for them every time...and I give him the foothold and the victory. I fail to shut him out. I think I sometimes fail to recognize my sinful desires as what they are...so they sneak past my radar. A focus on Christ and self-control fueled by His power would be a HUGE protective wall in my life. I really like the analogy.

I listen to myself A LOT. Too much. No specific examples jump to mind, but I do remember studying Elizabeth George's "Loving God With All Your Mind" in high school. One of the first chapters focuses exclusively on Philippians 4:8 (right?) "Whatever is true... whatever is noble...whatever is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things." And she specifically focused on the WHATEVER IS TRUE part for a while. And that made a HUGE impact on my listening to myself which led to a lot of frustration and depression. When I started "talking to myself", reminding myself to think only on things that are true, my outlook changed RADICALLY.

My impatient anger frequently rears its ugly head. I think it's yet another reflection of my sin of pride and woeful lack of grace. I have gigantically high standards I want everyone to live up to. When they don't, I'm critical and sarcastic and quick to point out their mistakes. SO WRONG! No one is perfect. Not even me. Especially me. But my sinful pride tells me I'm pretty darn perfect which strips me of all patience and grace which I should be lavishing on others because of the immense grace which Christ has lavished on me.

Anonymous said...

Well, as I said before, eating is my biggest struggle. It impacts all areas of my life...if I'm eating "well" today, that means it's a good day. If the scale says I'm up, well, then it's a bad day. It affects my feelings toward God, my feelings toward James, even my attitude toward Tobias. I'm just beyond screwed up in this area. So I'm just working on giving it to God...no more food obsessing. I'll try to eat healthy to His glory....not counting calories and counting fat, etc. If I'm hungry, I should eat. If not, I shouldn't. Plain and simple (not really).

I face adversaries of laziness and time management also. I sit on the computer or sit and watch tv when I NEED to be doing some housework or playing more with Tobias or whatever it may be.

I pretty much listen to myself often. Mostly in the food area, but I tell myself that I'll do whatever I need to do later....I'm a procrastinator. It doesn't get done - this book study or the dishes or the bathroom....I make lists, but then I make a new list and a new list and never do what was on the first list!