Here are the promised resources:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/biblestudies/features/marriage.html
I wouldn't say I agree with everything 100%, but they made some excellent points.
http://www.awomanthatfearsthelord.com/view/?pageID=166080
I haven't read EVERYTHING on this site, but what I have read has been very helpful.
http://www.bibchr.com/qgw.html
Very good. Very convicting. Very ugly page. (Check it out--you'll see what I mean.)
http://solochristo.net/proverbs31woman/women.php
Sermons by John MacArthur. I only read part of one transcript, but it looks excellent.
http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=642
Not sure what I think of this one as a whole, but he does make some good points.
http://shadowsanddust.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/the-traits-of-a-godly-wife/
I found it helpful.
Sorry to give you so many things you must run through a strainer (but really you should run EVERYTHING through a strainer, whether it's from a known and trusted source or not). I've honestly not read most of these pages in their entirety...mostly skimming. So if you note something of caution, please post your thoughts in the 'comments'.
Reminder: Next week we will be discussing Chapter One in Feminine Appeal, which Maria has already read. Gold star for Maria. ;)
8 comments:
How do you handle a man's help. a) let him do it his way and re-do it afterwards b) show him how you like it done and expect him to do so c) tell him not to do it or d) (which I don't like) let him do it his way and leave it.
If option b) what if he still doesn't do it your way?
Maria
Probably whatever you can do respectfully. Wouldn't it be lovely if they would ask how we'd like it done? Wouldn't it be nice if they watched and learned and followed those directions? Sigh. I know it's frustrating when they do it "wrong" because then it wasn't really HELPING. Let him do it his way then adjust it if need be (if that won't offend him...if it will be perceived as disrespect, then you'd better leave it). I do sometimes hop in mid-task and ask if he could do it such-and-such a way...but we have to tread so lightly with that, I think. Be sure to always appreciate the effort (even if his "effort" doesn't meet your definition of "effort"). Be patient. Thank God for a husband who's wanting to try.
Anyone else have thoughts on this one?
I didn't go through all of them, but I too think your third resource: bibchr. was very good. Thanks for sharing all your hard research with us!
You're so welcome. :) Thanks for sharing your kindness with me!
Hey friend...
I really appreciated "the ugly page". (WHO would choose that pink color???) http://www.bibchr.com/qgw.html
That aside, what great bullet points. You know, Dr. Laura Schlessinger mandates many of these points (minus the scripture) in "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands", and women eat it up.
So why don't Christian women believe these truths when they are coming straight from the Bible?
You are right -- this site *was* convicting...
Maybe women, even Christian women, honestly believe that the Bible has no "practical advice" for them as they face the challenges of marriage and motherhood. And/or maybe they feel that advice from a "real, live person who's having similar experiences" is more valuable. Sad. And so not true. Our great God truly give us all we need for life and godliness.
Our Sunday School lesson this morning was part 5 on men and women being made in the image of God, and how marriage is not only a reflection of Christ and the church, but also of the Trinity (not because of 3 members!) because of the one-ness of God and the completeness of relationship within the Trinity. Husband and wife are ONE, yet marriage was designed to be relational (a complete, fulfilling relationship) in and of itself. It was interesting.
This is a side note and kind of funny. You know how the man is told to leave his family and cleave unto his wife? The Hebrew root for cleave is the same root for a hunter -- he's supposed to PURSUE us like a hunter pursues his prey (not violently, HA!). YOu would understand this, K, having a hunter in the fam: the hunter has to study and know his prey so that he can hunt it. Our husbands are to study and know us so that they can continue to pursue us after the marriage. Our desires, hopes, etc. Isn't that cool?
Very cool! Thanks for sharing, Steph. :)
Post a Comment