Tuesday, October 14, 2008

GRACE REMINDER

Are you overwhelmed by the amount of change required in order to love your husband with a tender love?

Read the concluding section, "A Love That Lasts."

Our gracious God delights to honor our obedience. As we seek to prize, cherish, and enjoy our husbands, He will freely fill our hearts with love and affection for them. This will happen regardless of your circumstances--no matter how long it has been since you have felt or demonstrated affection for your husband, no matter how many times you have tried and failed. God is eager to impart fresh grace to you.

His grace provides all that we need to love our husbands. In fact, God lavishes us with grace. Charles Spurgeon described God's bountiful provision in this way: "He gives grace abundantly, seasonably, constantly, readily, sovereignly....He generously pours into [our] souls without ceasing, and He always will do so, whatever may occur."

Contrary to the advice of my well-meaning office mates, God gives us grace to cultivate phileo--not only during courtship or our first year of marriage but for our entire married lives. So the next time we meet a woman who is getting married, let's tell her about the wonderful grace of God that makes it possible to love her husband more and more with each passing year.

How do these biblical truths encourage you?
Let's pray for each other.

Is anyone here in a difficult marriage? How can Romans 8:28 and the love of Christ give you hope?

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

How can we pray for you? (Again, let us remember to refrain from gossip as we share about our situations.)

2 comments:

Maria said...

I think I'm overwhelmed with the sin in my life as a general rule. There is always something that I struggle with and am trying to improve. At times I get tired and want to quit. I'm reminded of a hymn.."Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above"

I'm encourage that God is for us! Each time I fall He picks me up and gives me the desire, grace, and strength to keep striving to better myself.

Karisa said...

I do find it a bit discouraging that I have so much sin that is so deeply rooted in my heart. However, I am encouraged that God doesn't call us to anything that He won't enable us to accomplish by His power and grace. Even putting this book in front of me is a gigantic means of His grace as is having friends like you all to help keep me accountable in these areas in which I struggle. My patient and forgiving husband is another means of God's grace in my life. He doesn't beat me up for all these ways I'm failing. He focuses on the good which helps to encourage me to continue trying.