WHAT'CHA THINK?
Between a 1 and a 10, rate your excitement level at the prospect of reading and discussing this chapter on self-control. (1=I was hoping I would get sick so I wouldn't have to come today! and 10=I was so excited that I read this chapter before any of the others!) Explain your answer. How (if at all) did your attitude toward self-control change after reading this chapter?
What are some ways we can glorify God in our eating and sleeping habits?
3 comments:
Excitement level, 8..I want to be more self-controlled in my life. My attitude was one of relief. After reading last week's chapter, I discovered my issue wasn't as much of self-control as it was how I viewed my role towards my girls. I had more of an authoritative mindset and one that life should be easy and fun. It is rather hard at times. So learning to tenderly love my girls was almost a lift of my shoulders.
Carolyn challenged us in two areas..I did not choose sleep. With a 4 month old, it just doesn't happen much. I did choose the foods I eat and my daily time with the Lord. I have slowed down to take more naps this week, but last night I was feeling more lazy than ever. I have cut down on my snacking after dinner, still needing improvement though.
I was really indifferent toward the chapter to begin with. I expected it to be the same "yada-yada, I need to try harder" thing, but now that I've read it, I'm a 10! I like the approach she took, and I'm glad she warned us to NOT simply try harder in our own power. I really want to focus on relying on God's power and develop self-control not just for my personal betterment but for His glory. I definitely needed her to enrich my perspective in that way.
I think we can glorify God in our eating and sleeping by eating and sleeping for His glory. Sounds stupid, right? But, really, that's what Carolyn pointed out. We need to acknowledge Him in all we do. We need to do all thing for His glory--neither excessively indulting nor denying our appetites. I guess my underlying assumption has always been that if I'm not FAT, I don't need to cut back on my eating...but I guess I need to re-evaluate my reasons for eating. And I LOVE sleep. I don't feel I overindulge in it, but I know my family would benefit from my getting up earlier. I'll have to pray about that one to see where the balance lies and what will glorify God most.
My excitement level was probably around a 3. I know that self-control is my biggest struggle. I was kind of glad James didn't pick this chapter for me to focus on..hee hee. No, I really need it! After reading this chapter, I'm even in more need of it! But it's exciting.
I do value my sleep, but I usually just sleep the normal 7 or 8 hours....which is wonderful now that Tobias sleeps! My biggest problem, obvious to some, is the food. I'm not just obsessed with the food, but I obsess over the diets and how I should look, etc. This is an area that I have never really truly given to God. So that's my breakthrough this week. I'm really giving it to God. Instead of staring at the scale and eating everything I see when it doesn't say what I want, I'm just gonna be satisfied if I eat to God's glory - not overeatng, not obsessing about it. This area of my life has some deep issues so I'm working on them daily. So for now I'm thinking, "Is this glorifying to God right now?"
I ALSO need to work on my thought life. I'm obsessive about things....other than God. I want to be free of judgment, and I need to trust God in ALL circumstances....including when I lose my keys or if Tobias is just screaming his head off!
Post a Comment