With whose experience--Lisa's or Carolyn's--can you most identify? How so?
In what ways did this chapter encourage you in your season of life?
On page 26 Carolyn presents two common attitudes toward the virtues listed in Titus 2:4-5. Before reading this chapter, how would you have characterized your attitude regarding these virtues? Has your perspective changed? If so, how?
Now there are many Christian women who agree with and adhere to the virtues listed in Titus 2, but are unaware of the ultimate purpose of these practical applications. These women are avid proponents of society's need to return to "traditional values;" yet that is not what this passage is advocating. We are not commanded to love our husbands and to love our children so we can have strong, happy families like those from a previous era. Tto be sure, we experience enjoyable and fruitful family relationships when we follow God's instructions. But there is a far higher call.
On the other hand, there are Christian women who reject some of these virtues because they regard them as restrictive and outdated. They single out "working at home" and "submissive to their own husbands" as purely cultural requirements that are not applicable in modern society. However, that idea is erroneous. This passage remains authoritative and relevant for women today.
Who are the unbelievers (friends, neighbors, family) watching your life? How do you think you can make the gospel attractive by modeling these virtues?
In what ways do you most hope to benefit from your study of this book?
2 comments:
I identified with Carolyn's experience. I have a 16 month and 3 month old. Very busy at moments and we sometimes do what ever it takes to keep everyone happy and quiet. It encourages me to find a mentor and to know this too shall pass, and once it does I'm sure I'll miss it. My attitude towards these virtues would have been to glorify God. I did not realize that "they are required for the sake of the unbeliever" The unbelievers in my life would be neighbors and friends. I even have some believing family that think my submission to my husband is foreign and unreasonable. For me, self-control will be very attractive to others. Although sometimes I feel self-control appears as not having your kids in control (speaking softly, not raising a hand). You often hear comments, 'that child needs good spanking'. I guess it boils down to me wanting to please everyone else. Again being pure would look snobbish to some unbelievers. I hope to benefit in finding a mentor and growing most in the virtue of self-control.
I can identify with both women, but on different levels. I'm in a Carolyn-like situation, but my mother was in a Lisa situation. So I've seen both sides.
I think my attitude is more like the first one listed--the return to traditional values person. I tend to think of the things I do and the things I am trying to be as for the sake of my family...without God in the equation. Since that has now dawned on me, I'm praying to do and be all things FOR THE GLORY OF GOD...not for myself or for my family, although we're sure to benefit from the obedience.
I do have unbelieving neighbors and unbelieving extended family members who see my life. I don't really think that I can MAKE the gospel attractive, but I do think that living out these virtues may make the gospel more noticeable.
I'm hoping to finish this study not just a better wife/mom, but as a better follower of Christ. Although I'm nowhere near perfect in the wife/mom department, it's easy for me to focus on those aspects of my life and discipline myself and change my behavior. Changing my heart and focusing on Christ is a whole different ballgame. So even though I do want to be a better wife and mother, I want to become those as a result of becoming a more mature Christian.
Post a Comment