GOALS OF DISCUSSION
Our goals for this time are to
(1) recognize the importance of self-control;
(2) examine our need for self-control in our appetites, thoughts, feelings, and behavior; and
(3) remind one another of Christ's "better strength" to attain the virtue of self-control.
SINCE LAST TIME
Share briefly about how God encouraged you through prayer and His Word during your extended time of meeting with Him.
FUN STUFF
Imagine that your family dared you to live without one thing for an entire week. What do you think would be the nature of their challenge? How many days do you think you would last?
3 comments:
To my shame, I'll admit I forgot to even TRY for an extended time with God. So I'll go schedule it in now to make sure it isn't forgotten again.
If my family dared me to give up somthing, it would probably be the computer. It's my primary distraction. Whenever I get freetime, it's the first place I go. I know I could last a week, because when we're on vacation I don't take the computer. I would miss it, but I would live.
I did not have extended time, but I did get on my knees and was more thoughtful of prayer through out the day. As I'm working on joy in my circumstances each day, I memorized a verse and recalling that at moments has been helpful.
My family would either challenge me to live without my computer or chocolate. I do think I could live without my computer if I knew there was an end, but I can't say the same of chocolate.
I didn't spend an "extended time" with God, but I have been spending short quiet times with Him a couple times a day. I'm trying to include Him in my thoughts and decisions throughout the day. But I still need to work on finding a good extended period to spend with Him. How would my relationship be with James if I didn't spend any extended periods with Him...just little tiny bursts in the morning? Well, that says it all!
My family would definitely challenge me to give up the Internet. I'm pretty obsessive about it. I have online friends and certain websites I go to each day and email and.....well, you see. That is probably the time I could be using for extended time with God! I would last as long as I had to, but it wouldn't be pretty!
Post a Comment