Wednesday, February 4, 2009

As you read this chapter, did you become aware of ways you could serve your family by rising early? In what ways?

7 comments:

Maria said...

I'm just repeating myself, but I do serve my family most mornings after working out, by God's grace. I get breakfast ready for my girls, and sometimes for Matthew if he wants some. I take out the trash on the designated days. I will pick up the kitchen if it needs it. I start Matthew's shower and gently wake him, as he is not a morning person. Then get his toothbrush ready.

Karisa said...

I think my family's needs are fairly well met, but rising earlier would afford me time to help Matt get some breakfast and get out the door in a more organized manner (not that he can't do it himself...just sometimes more hands might be nice for him).

Kirsten said...

I don't think the awarness came with this chapter. I think through realizing what a grump I was to be around many mornings and how that created more stress for Vince, God graciously showed me my selfishness and how it was affecting my family. Rather than sitting grumpily at the breakfast table, waiting for my coffee to kick in, I am able to be up and ready to serve my whole family when they are ready to start the day. It's made a big difference in our morning routine and my attitude towards the day.

Unknown said...

No, because my family is far away, and I live by myself. I think getting up early would have other benefits though, and it'd prepare me for if I do have a family of my own.

Melonie said...

I agree with Kirsten - I don't think the awareness of family service by rising early came particularly through reading the chapter, but it was something I've known for a long time, just by realizing what a grouch I was in the mornings. I just didn't think I could actually change - and I hate trying and failing, so I just didn't want to try again.

But the difference became especially clear by actually rising early and seeing the difference in my temperament! Wow, now I can come into the boys' room in the morning with a smile and a cheerful voice, all dressed and showered and already having spent time with the Lord. If Drake wants eggs for breakfast, I can make them...before I would have said "no" for sure, because I needed to get a shower in during that time, too. I think everyone is much happier, including Adam, who is thrilled to have someone to shower with (ha ha) in the morning and talk to as he's getting out the door. Just this morning, he gave me a practice "briefing" that he has to give today to his squadron. So I can't say enough good things about how rising early has affected our family!

Karisa said...

Wow--you sound like the 5-AM Club poster-child! ;)

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the only one - this part was eye-opening for me. I've never thought about getting up and making James breakfast or coffee or even chatting with him a bit. He leaves the house at 6:30 every morning so I never considered it. But I KNOW it would mean a lot to him. I've thought of getting up early to exercise......but not to chat with God and my husband. That's horrible!