Seriously--this was all supposed to post this morning...so SORRY to anyone who went looking for it and couldn't find it. On a happier note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Savannah, Kirsten, and Nicole (all this week!). Now, moving right along...
The first tip was to RISE EARLY. What was your first reaction to that suggestion?
FUN QUESTION
What extreme measures have you taken to make sure you get up on time for something important?
11 comments:
My first reaction was mental assent but inwardly trying to find a way to disregard this one for personal application!
I haven't taken EXTREME measures...setting multiple alarms in the various corners of my bedroom is as extreme as it has gotten for me.
I have been wrestling with rising early in my head. This has not been the first I've thought about it so I'm not sure of my first reaction. Here is my struggle: I wake my husband when I wake (not doing him good). A huge part of rising early is showering...major waking my husband. Also, as I've been rising early to exercise (self-ambition), which I have been able to use some time for quiet time and doing both my husband and kids good, I hit a brick wall physically after lunch and am very lazy in my parenting. Again, I'm not a better mom for this. So these are my thoughts and I look forward to working through them and seeing how rising early will look for our family. Any thoughts on waking the husband?
Because I like to wake up, the most extreme I've been is setting my phone alarm in addition to my alarm clock.
When I started getting up early to shower before Mattaya woke up, Matt just started waking up and doing his quiet time in bed while I showered. Neither of us are fans of waking early, but we adjust our go-to-bed time so we're still getting adequate sleep. If your girls HAPPEN to nap at the same time in the afternoon, you can consider a power nap (15-20 min). I learned to use power naps during college, and it really does give you enough energy to get through the rest of the day. Just some thoughts (that are hopefully helpful!).
I didn't really have an initial reaction. I've always been an early riser, even in high school. But I'm part of the 530 am club, though my alarm is set for 5. I always have the intention of getting up at 5 but laying in bed is so nice, but I wasn't getting in my quiet time before having to go to work. By the time I got home from work, made dinner, did all my chores, I'm exhausted and want to go to bed (9 pm is my bedtime) However, after reading this chapter, I've become convicted about my lack of quiet time with God. So I started Friday morning by getting up at 5 am...actually getting out of bed rather than waiting until 530. Even though I wasn't functional until I had my coffee, after my quiet time, I got a whole lot of stuff accomplished, and it wasn't even 9 am yet. It was great. Josh was a little annoyed at my morning pep, but he's usually a little grumpy in the morning =)
As for extreme measures to wake up...I'm with Karisa with the setting of various alarms. However, even with alarms in different areas, it wasn't that hard to just fall back into bed. So, really, I just had to discipline myself to get up.
Probably no "extreme measures." I just set the alarm clock across the room, which forces me out of the nice, warm bed, into the frigid air, waking me a bit more than I'd like.
I've also been struggling with rising early for a while, I want to and know it would be beneficial but I like my sleep! My husband gets up early for PT since he is in Army and so we've been going to bed earlier and both getting up earlier since we've been here in MO, but some days I still resist getting up early and only get up early enough to shower before my boys wake up!
Nothing extreme, two alarms, one making me get out of bed to shut it off.
My first reaction was pretty much the same as Karisa's reaction-mental assent but a continuous run through of justifications of why it may not work for me. Truthfully, my schedule is fairly flexible. Getting up early to spend time with God would pr'lly be a good thing for me because its one of the only times that is uninterrupted. I'll have to try it this week and see how it goes!
Hmmmm. The most extreme thing I've done to wake up. I guess just the same as everyone else. I've set multiple alarms and hidden them all over the house. I've also had my fiancee call me if he's going to be up at that time.
My first reaction was: I can't do this! I hate getting up early. I have tried before to make it a habit and can never stick with it. BUT, I tried again, starting several weeks ago...and to my surprise, it's working very well for me! Going to bed early helps a LOT, and not being sporadic in my attempts to rise early helps a lot too, because my body has adjusted itself to this "new normal". So, I can say that while my initial reaction was one of complete dread, it has actually been one of the best things I've accomplished in a long time. AND has allowed me to get my Bible study (Beth Moore) homework done without cramming the day before my study each week. Yay!
I don't think I've ever done anything extreme to get up early. My husband is a natural early riser, so I trust that trait (and one bedside alarm clock) to get us up as early as we need.
Glad things are going so well for you, Melonie! :)
I cringed on the inside as I always do when I think about rising before 10am.
Once when I was in grade school I told my older sister to dump cold water on me to make sure I'd get up and stay up. I can't remember what I was getting up for though...never the less I was mad when she drenched me and my bed the next morning.
I pretty much went through the whole mental excuse list of why I can't possibly get up that early....then reality set in today (yes, I am a week behind and just read chapt. 2 last night).
Nothing extreme for me. Just alarm setting like you all. But my biggest problem is that if I have something important to get up for in the morning (like a flight or something like that), then I will wake up numerous times in the night checking the clock.
Post a Comment