Thursday, February 19, 2009

On page 52 we read that the practice of taking periodic personal retreats can help us “sharpen our priorities and discern the best deals.” What specific ways do the girls suggest we can benefit from taking personal retreats?

4 comments:

Maria said...

In my book it is page 53. Some specific ways that are straight from the book...say no to good opportunities and yes to better ones, avoid repetitive consequences by correcting problem areas, develop strategies for overcoming sin and shore up areas where we are weak, strengthen relationships with others, and through God's Word acquire clear direction and purpose for our seasons.

Anonymous said...

I identified with what they said on pg 52: "If we simply allow each new season to come along without charting a course, we could easily be sidetracked by urgent yet unimportant activities." I find that very easy to do, I think to myself that if I do such and such (unimportant activity) first then I can spend more time doing this other thing (such as building relationships), but there's always more unimportant activities that pop up as soon as one is finished, that I could possibly never get to the better opportunity. They also said "we could potentially miss the truly significant opportunities each season has to offer" and looking back I can see times in my life that I have probably chosen a 'good deal' rather than the 'best deal'. Not missing those truly significant opportunities would definitely be a benefit of a personal retreat.

Karisa said...

I'm with you, Nicole. I often choose the urgent over the important...maintaining control of the day-to-day things and not even considering that God might have me set all that aside to do something MORE important, MORE glorifying to Him. And I think that's part of what excites me about this personal retreat idea...I'm excited to explore all this uncharted territory in my life in which God wants me to develop and grow.

Anonymous said...

Focusing on one family relationship, focusing on one Christian friendship, reaching out to an unbeliever (neighbor), making our time with God a priority and even changing up our reading plan.....
I am a big time planner of daily activities, but these topics don't get touched on in my "daily" plan except for bible reading, of course.