What are the obstacles in your life (unique challenges or lazy habits) that make rising early difficult? How did this chapter encourage you to pursue this helpful discipline?
Earlier I stated my youngest was still waking at night. To God be the glory she did not wake until 6:40 this morning. Unfortunately, I'm having my husband get up to feed her as I am working out at that time (is that right?) So there are no obstacles at the moment (well, waking my husband). I was encouraged to put God first, so I'm still working on going to bed earlier, in order to rise earlier yet, to have quiet time prior to exercising.
Sidenote to Maria--I don't think it's necessarily WRONG for your husband to feed your daughter breakfast. As long as it's something he wants to do and has agreed to do, I don't think you've crossed any major lines. If you'd commanded him or nagged him, maybe not so much. But if he's wanting to give you the time to exercise and is willing to feed her, I don't think there's any reason for guilt.
I would say the greatest obstacle at this stage in life is inconsistent sleep. We have many nights that we are up multiple times with one, two or three of the boys, which gets exhausting. I struggle some mornings to get up because I have been up so many times at night.
The obstacle in my life that makes rising early difficult is myself and the lazy habit of not getting up early! For the last month I've gotten up quite a bit in the night with our youngest because he's had ear infection, and it is so much harder to get up in the morning when you've been up once or twice in the night even if it's only been for a short time. This chapter was encouraging because it helped me realize that rising early is a discipline I need to pursue and if I really want my priorities to be right, my life needs to reflect that, and to put God first in my day.
Homework. I get to bed really late because of homework and will frequently get up early to finish it. I don't get a lot of sleep as is so this would be a struggle. I mostly think I need to prioritize. I waste a lot of time getting to things by procrastinating. (Today it was 'testing out' a bubble wand for clinic!)
Lazy, lazy habits for me! If left to my own devices, I will naturally become a "night owl" - yes, no matter what time zone we live in! I just tend to feel more like doing stuff later in the day, and more like a zombie in the mornings. BUT, I have realized that I CAN change this natural bent to better prioritize the activities in my life and my family members' lives...it just takes discipline. There is no doubt in my mind that if I stopped forcing myself to get up so early, I'd easily become a night person again, which isn't the most efficient way to do things with the way my life is set up!
Oh goodness! Rising early is challenging for me because I have a hard time getting to bed falling asleep at a good hour and staying asleep. My sleep is restless till about 3 or 4am then for some reason I am able to sleep well. I know it doesn't seem to make sense but I've always had trouble with this. I'm going to try consistently waking up early in hopes that I will be able to get tired at a better time.
It will probably take some adjusting. If you're curious about looking into your sleep patterns and such, there's a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Most people read it because they need its advice for their infants, BUT he covers a lot of basic principles about sleep and talks about solving sleep "problems" all the way up to adulthood. I know the public library has it if you're curious. ;)
I wouldn't consider myself a night owl, but I do stay up too late. Then I'm dragging in the morning. When I stay up, it's usually only to watch tv. It's not like I'm staying up late reading my Bible or anything...........
9 comments:
Earlier I stated my youngest was still waking at night. To God be the glory she did not wake until 6:40 this morning. Unfortunately, I'm having my husband get up to feed her as I am working out at that time (is that right?) So there are no obstacles at the moment (well, waking my husband). I was encouraged to put God first, so I'm still working on going to bed earlier, in order to rise earlier yet, to have quiet time prior to exercising.
Sidenote to Maria--I don't think it's necessarily WRONG for your husband to feed your daughter breakfast. As long as it's something he wants to do and has agreed to do, I don't think you've crossed any major lines. If you'd commanded him or nagged him, maybe not so much. But if he's wanting to give you the time to exercise and is willing to feed her, I don't think there's any reason for guilt.
I would say the greatest obstacle at this stage in life is inconsistent sleep. We have many nights that we are up multiple times with one, two or three of the boys, which gets exhausting. I struggle some mornings to get up because I have been up so many times at night.
The obstacle in my life that makes rising early difficult is myself and the lazy habit of not getting up early! For the last month I've gotten up quite a bit in the night with our youngest because he's had ear infection, and it is so much harder to get up in the morning when you've been up once or twice in the night even if it's only been for a short time.
This chapter was encouraging because it helped me realize that rising early is a discipline I need to pursue and if I really want my priorities to be right, my life needs to reflect that, and to put God first in my day.
Homework. I get to bed really late because of homework and will frequently get up early to finish it. I don't get a lot of sleep as is so this would be a struggle. I mostly think I need to prioritize. I waste a lot of time getting to things by procrastinating. (Today it was 'testing out' a bubble wand for clinic!)
Lazy, lazy habits for me! If left to my own devices, I will naturally become a "night owl" - yes, no matter what time zone we live in! I just tend to feel more like doing stuff later in the day, and more like a zombie in the mornings. BUT, I have realized that I CAN change this natural bent to better prioritize the activities in my life and my family members' lives...it just takes discipline. There is no doubt in my mind that if I stopped forcing myself to get up so early, I'd easily become a night person again, which isn't the most efficient way to do things with the way my life is set up!
Oh goodness! Rising early is challenging for me because I have a hard time getting to bed falling asleep at a good hour and staying asleep. My sleep is restless till about 3 or 4am then for some reason I am able to sleep well. I know it doesn't seem to make sense but I've always had trouble with this.
I'm going to try consistently waking up early in hopes that I will be able to get tired at a better time.
It will probably take some adjusting. If you're curious about looking into your sleep patterns and such, there's a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Most people read it because they need its advice for their infants, BUT he covers a lot of basic principles about sleep and talks about solving sleep "problems" all the way up to adulthood. I know the public library has it if you're curious. ;)
I wouldn't consider myself a night owl, but I do stay up too late. Then I'm dragging in the morning. When I stay up, it's usually only to watch tv. It's not like I'm staying up late reading my Bible or anything...........
Post a Comment