Thursday, February 12, 2009

On pages 48-49, the girls talk about how to pursue the spiritual disciplines,“guilt free.” How does the gospel redefine how we think about spending time with the Lord each day?

5 comments:

Maria said...

This was HUGE for me this week! I tend to carry a lot of guilt for lack of my spiritual disciplines. I've heard a lot about Mary and Martha this week through other studies and am very convicted of my "Martha" likeness. This will be a continued struggle, but I'm encouraged to seek God's grace through it all. I've known these things and I've had a close friend warn me of my attitude and actions approaching my disciplines. I did see her point, but I just thought she didn't completely understand me. It seems my eyes have been opened more so. I would never think of earning my salvation, but earning favor in God's eyes. I think I received positive attention as a young child from my parents when I did certain things. I know realize I do the same thing with my Savior and how wrong it is (I am).

Kirsten said...

I really understand the concept of grace - that I can do nothing to earn God's favor. But as I evaluate my life, I can see that I often do things in order to earn God's favor - so I don't live by grace. It's freeing to know that the time I spend in the Word is not something that will win points with God - it frees me to spend time more willingly because it's not done out of guilt or obligation.

Anonymous said...

This is a hard concept for me because I always think that I have to DO a checklist of things to please God. The truth is that none of it is about ME. None of it! It's much easier to read and pray without obligation!

Melonie said...

I can't help but quote the Trinity Church blog (again). This was from just the other day, for those who haven't seen it. I found it to be convicting and yet very encouraging...AND it completely answers this question, so I had to share. :)

http://www.trinitychurchminot.org/2009/02/distinguishing-sheep-from-goats.html

Melonie said...

Well, I see the link kind of cut itself off there in the middle...anyway, if you just go to the main page of the church's blog, it's now the second post down on the page. Worth reading for sure, in my opinion!