Thursday, February 26, 2009

What reasons/priorities dictate the people you currently spend time with? Why should we take time to prayerfully evaluate our relational priorities?

5 comments:

Maria said...

My time and the health of the relationship. As they stated some can be spiritually unhealthy.

Karisa said...

Currently my time is spent on relationships that have occurred naturally and remained convenient. The chapter was really convicting as they stressed the importance of being intentional in forming relationships and spending time. Thankfully, I don't think there's anyone I have to "cut out", but I think there are some fundamental shifts that need to occur so that the time spent is edifying and God-honoring and contributing to spiritual growth...not JUST having fun.

Anonymous said...

I tend to be a 'home-body', and am not very outgoing, so I don't spend alot of time with others (especially this last year, living in a new place, it takes me a while to make good friendships), so this chapter was challenging to me in a way that I need to be more intentional about my friendships and going deeper within those friendships (more time spent contributing to each others spiritual growth, as Karisa said).
Reasons for who I spend time with was that the relationships grew naturally out of weekly Bible study, church, or being neighbors. It is important to prayerfully evaluate because it is so easy to become like those you are around, whether positive or negative.

Melonie said...

I've never thought about being intentional about relationships, so mine have just naturally occurred, as Karisa said. Also, I tend to look at any new possible friendship as a whole lotta work that's probably not worth it...just my personality. I'm not much of a people person, and one or two friends (outside of my family) feels like more than enough to me. Seriously, I can count my friends on one hand. So this chapter was overwhelming for me - just the sheer number of true friends required to fulfill all the slots she mentioned. I think for some of us, there may be certain times of life where one category is filled more than another...and I think that might be okay.

We should definitely take time to prayerfully evaluate our relational priorities, though, because we are so very influenced by those we are around the most...and also we are most effective in evangelism and discipleship with those we are close to.

Karisa said...

I'm with you, Melonie! If I'm honest, I think I shy away from investing in people because of the time/effort involved. Part of it used to be that I had a hard time getting past surface stuff and opening myself up to new people, but small group (and childbirth) has helped cure me of that. ;) But, yeah, in my mind, relationships require effort. So, I'm with you that this idea of THINKING about and PRAYING about friendships is new and unnatural...but definitely worth further reflection.