What in your life might deter you from taking a personal retreat (people or things that “clamor for your attention,” thoughts of not knowing how to use the time, pressures/demands of life, etc.)? What suggestions in this chapter can help you to think differently about these deterrents, or to plan around them?
4 comments:
When I first started reading the chapter, all of the above! But as I continued reading and learned what to do and how to do it and what the potential benefits are, those kind of melted away. Now I think my biggest obstacle will be the whole self-examination aspect. I don't always excel in that, especially sitting quietly and directing my thoughts in a really serious way for an extended period of time. I don't expect to be very good at it, but I'm still excited to give it a try!
I would be deterred because it would take a lot of planning/preparation to have a retreat for myself. I would want all the Scripture that I want to be read written down and all the books in hand. I also would feel I need about 2 weeks. I think I would be frustrated with even 24 hours. I think I would need 24 hours sleep before I'm even rested to start studying. Last weeks chapter discussed sleep isn't sufficient for renewal without Christ. So I need Christ first! Any time in the Word (even if I only have 4 hours) and planning is better than none.
Things that would deter me would be feeling I'm 'too busy' (and could be doing tangible things during that time) and also, like Karisa said, keeping my thoughts focused during the time of retreat. To spend a significant amount of time on a personal retreat, I would have to leave my house or my mind would wander every which way!
The suggestions that helped me were just realizing that I have been and am missing out on some 'great deals' in life, and also further conviction that I need to strive to better follow Jesus' example of withdrawing to be alone to pray.
Like Maria, I would want to have things all planned out for a retreat, but even in the last week since reading this chapter, I have been able to think and pray through some of these things during my day, which would hopefully help me when I do take time to sit and plan. I had really never considered taking a personal retreat like this before, but I am intrigued and look forward to trying it!
I think the only major thing that would deter me from a personal retreat is MYSELF. I know James would watch Tobias. I guess it's a control thing with me. Will everything be ok if I'm not here for a whole day or night?
Also, I have a hard time staying on task....so if I went on a personal retreat, I may have trouble completing the plan.
I am definitely going to make a STRONG effort to do this, though. After reading this chapter, I think I would be able to serve God, my family, and others much better if I took some time for myself to plan for this season.
Post a Comment